Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Local channels in HD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Local channels in HD

    I'm not sure if everyone is aware that it is available, but I recently discovered that I can get my local channels in HD with an over-the-air (OTA) "rooftop" antenna. I've been getting HD programming from the digital channels of WCYB, WJHL, WKPT, as well as a CBS station from KY, another NBC station in WV, and several PBS stations. The only local I haven't picked up is the FOX station from Greeneville.

    All of the newer tv's have built-in digital tuners which allow you to scan for digital channels. My DISH receiver has the same option for scanning locals.

    Unlike analog, digital signals either come in with a perfectly clear picture or you get nothing at all. But, I was able to get about 18-20 digital channels when I scanned.

    With the digital signals, you can get any programming that the network offers in HD. CBS is probably the most hit-and-miss with only some of their prime-time programming in HD. But, all of the NCAA tournament games have been available in HD. The quality of the digital signals and HD is also better than the compressed signals I've received from satellite. Much better than the "HD-lite" format I've seen from cable systems too.

    It really depends on where you live as to which signals you can get. I emailed the local tv stations to get info on the channels they use for digital broadcasts, and I got some good info on what was available.

    One of the contacts from the tv stations also told me that eventually both DISH and DirecTV will offer the Tricities channels in HD but it could be late this year or sometime next year. I think the Tricities is something like 92 out of 220 markets on the list.
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Local channels in HD

    Where do you live? I wouldn't mind trying it out if I could get them in Norton. I could see portions of Scott County getting them but not much in Wise but I could be wrong.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Local channels in HD

    Hey... check your private messages.

    You might be surprised. I'm farther from the tricities than you. The thing about digital signals is that you don't have to have a strong signal for a clear picture the way you do with analog.
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Local channels in HD

    Which OTA antenna did you get, I am sick of watchin all the network stuff with a junk picture on Dish and everything else with a great picture.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Local channels in HD

    Sent you a link.

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheBeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which OTA antenna did you get, I am sick of watchin all the network stuff with a junk picture on Dish and everything else with a great picture. </div></div>
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

  6. #6
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Local channels in HD

    I had a little indoor antenna hooked to my TV before I got Comcast and I was able to get lots of channels in HD, including local channels, Food Network, and ESPN.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Local channels in HD

    I got an email from a friend who works at one of the local tricities TV stations regarding the local channels in HD.

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A Dish Network dealer friend of mine was in a meeting recently involving a bunch of Dish executives and asked when we will get locals in HD. They called the people who schedule these things and were told that it would be early 2009.</div></div>

    I was hoping they might have the locals in HD in time for football season. Though, right now, I'm getting NBC, CBS, and ABC in local HD with my OTA antenna. Not been able to get FOX. Looking forward to some of the college and NFL games in HD.
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •